Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Awareness or Acceptance? You Decide.


            April is Autism Awareness Month. According to the most recent statistics by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1 in 88 children is diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. There are months and days dedicated to a myriad of disabilities, all with the intent to raise awareness. There is even a month meant to raise awareness of disabilities as a whole. But a recent blog by a parent with a son that has Autism (What I learned from my autistic son) has pointed out a key word in the various awareness months: Awareness. For such a simple word, there is an important distinction to be made.
Merriam-Webster defines awareness as “having or showing realization, perception, or knowledge”. With every “awareness month” we make society knowledgeable about that disability.  We increase the perception of the disability.  But what more does that accomplish? Do people gain a better understanding of the obstacles we face? Does it stop them from questioning the accommodations we request, the actions we take, and the assistance we need in order to be independent? I’m sure these days, months, and weeks of awareness all open people’s minds to think about the various disabilities in a new way. Maybe they even think about it for the first time, or gain a perception they didn’t have before. But shouldn’t we want more at this point? Don’t we deserve it?
I was raised to look past how a person appears on the outside and focus on who they are on the inside. I was taught to accept differences and understand that normal is never attained. No one completely conforms to a certain type or standard. There are differences in all of us. They should be celebrated and welcomed because they play a part in making us who we are. They help shape our beliefs, passions, and ideas. Without differences, how would we develop; how would we innovate and create? I doubt life would be very interesting.
We are learning to accept people of difference races, religions, and sexual orientation, among others. We’re not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Racism and bigotry still exist. Such hatred, ignorance, and intolerance probably always will. But if we can grow as a society to understand, to become aware of these differences between people… if we can grow to accept others for who they are, regardless of race, religion, and sexual orientation, why is it so difficult to accept people with disabilities? Are we less deserving of respect or rights?
The reality is that any of the groups listed above, and others not listed, can become a part of the Disability Culture. Having a disability can be genetic or acquired. But people fear the idea that they might become less of who they were. They view disability as a set back, a hindrance. They focus on the potential negative aspects and perpetuated stereotypes so much, that they forget an important point. We can choose who we want to be. Our dreams can change. We can adapt to our circumstances. Millions of people with disabilities do this and more every day. We hire assistants to help us get out of bed; we get tutoring or extended test time in college to reduce stress and distractions; we seek counseling and support. We recognize our obstacles and we overcome them, not because we are some special brand of inspirational heroes. Everyone has obstacles in their life. We do these things because our obstacles require it. We do these things to maintain our independence... to be successful and contributing members of the larger community.
            Awareness is important. I won’t deny that people need to learn about different disabilities and expand their perception. But I think we have also reached a point when we must accept each other and celebrate that. Acceptance of my disability… of who I am… of what being a person with a disability means to me, and the pride I take in it… that’s what I choose to focus on when my disability day/week/month comes around. What about you?

2 comments:

  1. This is good! Very well written, VERY good point. I've got LGMD, but that doesn't define me - it does help mould and shape the choices I make that defines the person I choose to be - but it's only one part of my story and my character. :) Thanks for writing this. I'm interested in your experiences with emergency management and disability advocacy where you live. That's what I've found myself focussing my attention and efforts on with my health system here in New Zealand. There's a lot that I've discovered over the last 4 years researching that needs working on here, that's become apparent through my own health management that's missing. What can you tell me about emergency health management over there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Joyce! I love New Zealand, by the way. I had the opportunity to spend a some time in Auckland and Rotorua as part of a study abroad trip once. Absolutely beautiful!

      I will be delving into the subject of disability and emergency management on a more personal note in a future blog, but I'm so glad to see you are passionate about it. I've been working as an intern at my university's office of safety and risk management for almost a year now. It was full time, but since I began working with a private company, I've cut back a little on my volunteering. Having a disability can bring much needed perspectives in the emergency management field. People with disabilities are more aware of the assistance they may/may not need and should be included in the development of any emergency plans and procedures, especially where communication, transportation, and shelters are concerned. Health management is especially important, given the power outages that often accompany a disaster. Many people with disabilities require electricity to operate communication, mobility, and/or life sustaining equipment. It can be a challenge, and while we are aware of the issues here and have come a long way in addressing these issues, we are still learning and improving with each disaster. It's unfortunate, but that's how the learning process inevitably works.

      I am by no means an expert on the issue. I've only been in the field for about a year, so please understand my knowledge is about 50% personal experience, 35% theory, and 15% practical. For more information, I strongly recommend you check out our Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA) Office of Disability Integration and Coordination website at http://www.fema.gov/office-disability-integration-coordination/office-disability-integration-coordination/office-1. Another great resource is the Red Cross http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/disabilities. I hope what I've said and these resources help you and answer your questions. If they don't, or if you have more comments, please feel free to respond again.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the post and I hope you continue to follow along!

      Delete